Thursday, January 29, 2009

Neurology Appointment

Well, it was a long four hours at the hospital and we are all exhausted, but we're done. We met with the neurologist and he decided we should do an EEG (measurement of electrical activity produced by the brain as recorded from electrodes placed on the scalp). We held Samantha down as a technician placed 23 electrodes in Samantha's hair and then wrapped her head with guaze and tape. I was fine with holding her down and listening to her scream, but really lost it when her head started getting wrapped. I was pretty overwhelmed with a flood of emotions as I looked at her all bandaged up like a patient who had experienced a traumatic head injury or brain surgery. Luckily the experience was not a waste of time. During about 25 minutes, she experienced three seizures as I read books with her and worked on program activities. Trey was watching the read out on the computer screen and said that the read out went crazy each time. So, we now know that she is truly having seizures and are beginning medication tomorrow morning. The seizures are a-typical abscence generalized seizures (I may have this not worded exactly right... It was a mouthful even for the physician's assistant). She has not experienced any convulsing yet, but with her type of seizure disorder it is possible, so it's really good that she is getting on medication to prevent that from happening. Next week she will have an MRI to check her brain and see if there are any obvious problems in its structure, etc. So stay tuned...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Heidi, I wish I could give you a squeeze. I'm sure that wasn't easy. I'm SO glad that you guys were able to take her there and get it figured out and get her on the medicine she needs. I love you guys so much.

Call me anytime you wanna talk or whatever. LOVE YOU!

Faith W said...

I would have cried too Heidi, you and Trey are both so strong and supportive through all of this. What a good example you are. At least it is good to know what is happening and that there is medication for it. Glad to hear that it seems to be helping too.